An all-optical demultiplexer based on a Mach-Zehnder interferometer (MZI) is simulated using a realistic simulation engine. A novel scheme is proposed that utilizes the active interferometer arms in a bidirectional regime for simultaneous pre-amplification of the control light pulses and for differential nonlinear control of the interferometer balance. The device design incorporates an on-chip delay line as well as fine-tuning of the control pulse powers for optimal extinction ratio. This leads to a more compact device and an improved performance at speeds of up to 200 Gb/s.
- Active Mach-Zehnder interferometer (MZI)
- All-optical demultiplexing
- Computer simulation
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering