Twenty‐seven women with metastatic breast cancer were treated with doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Adria Laboratories, Columbus, OH) every other week, alternating with 5‐fluorouracil (5FU) and high‐dose calcium leucovorin, for a 12‐week induction regimen, followed by weekly doxorubicin and oral daily cyclophosphamide. Twenty‐five women were eligible and evaluable. Of these, complete response occurred in two patients (8%) and partial response in six patients (24%), for a total response rate of 32%. Toxicity was similar to that seen in previous Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) trials in this patient population. Response rates in this study were inferior, with comparable median survivals to those of previous SWOG studies that are reviewed. Additional, more dose‐intensive approaches incorporating newer approaches to the administration of cancer chemotherapeutic agents are planned.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||6|
|State||Published - Sep 1 1991|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Cancer Research