During cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen extension tubing was mistakenly connected into the tracheal tube connector. As a result, the patient recovering from hypovolemic cardiac arrest died because of pulmonary barotrauma. Similar cases have been reported. We suggest that a worldwide equipment performance standard be developed to prevent future occurrences and describe an example of connectors that would prevent such misconnections.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||2|
|Journal||Anesthesia and analgesia|
|State||Published - Oct 1 2004|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine