Fatal Rat Bite Fever in A Pet Shop Employee

Steve Shvartsblat, Mary Kochie, Philip I Harber, John Howard

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

26 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Rat bite fever is a zoonotic disease that has been described in laboratory personnel as well as the general population. Methods: A 24-year-old male per shop employee contracted the disease through a minor superficial finger wo¿md on a contaminated rat cage. The disease progressed from a flu-like illness to endocarditis involving-first the aortic valve and then the mitral valve and septum. Despite aggressive therapy including two surgical procedures, the patient died from sepsis and multi-organ system failue 59 days after initial injury. Results: This is the first reported case of rat-bite fever (RBF) in a per shop work setting. Conclusions: Zoonotic infections may present a significant hazard to workers handling animals. Education on hazards of animal contact and other preventive measures are needed in small places of business like per shops.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)357-360
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Journal of Industrial Medicine
Volume45
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2004
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Rat-Bite Fever
Pets
Zoonoses
Small Business
Laboratory Personnel
Endocarditis
Aortic Valve
Mitral Valve
Fingers
Sepsis
Education
Wounds and Injuries
Population
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • Endocarditis
  • Pet stores
  • Rat-bite fever
  • Streptobaccillus moniliformis
  • Zoonotic infections

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health

Cite this

Fatal Rat Bite Fever in A Pet Shop Employee. / Shvartsblat, Steve; Kochie, Mary; Harber, Philip I; Howard, John.

In: American Journal of Industrial Medicine, Vol. 45, No. 4, 04.2004, p. 357-360.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Shvartsblat, Steve ; Kochie, Mary ; Harber, Philip I ; Howard, John. / Fatal Rat Bite Fever in A Pet Shop Employee. In: American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 2004 ; Vol. 45, No. 4. pp. 357-360.
@article{502bb919d4e34492b8520d178e603f9e,
title = "Fatal Rat Bite Fever in A Pet Shop Employee",
abstract = "Background: Rat bite fever is a zoonotic disease that has been described in laboratory personnel as well as the general population. Methods: A 24-year-old male per shop employee contracted the disease through a minor superficial finger wo¿md on a contaminated rat cage. The disease progressed from a flu-like illness to endocarditis involving-first the aortic valve and then the mitral valve and septum. Despite aggressive therapy including two surgical procedures, the patient died from sepsis and multi-organ system failue 59 days after initial injury. Results: This is the first reported case of rat-bite fever (RBF) in a per shop work setting. Conclusions: Zoonotic infections may present a significant hazard to workers handling animals. Education on hazards of animal contact and other preventive measures are needed in small places of business like per shops.",
keywords = "Endocarditis, Pet stores, Rat-bite fever, Streptobaccillus moniliformis, Zoonotic infections",
author = "Steve Shvartsblat and Mary Kochie and Harber, {Philip I} and John Howard",
year = "2004",
month = "4",
doi = "10.1002/ajim.10359",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "45",
pages = "357--360",
journal = "American Journal of Industrial Medicine",
issn = "0271-3586",
publisher = "Wiley-Liss Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fatal Rat Bite Fever in A Pet Shop Employee

AU - Shvartsblat, Steve

AU - Kochie, Mary

AU - Harber, Philip I

AU - Howard, John

PY - 2004/4

Y1 - 2004/4

N2 - Background: Rat bite fever is a zoonotic disease that has been described in laboratory personnel as well as the general population. Methods: A 24-year-old male per shop employee contracted the disease through a minor superficial finger wo¿md on a contaminated rat cage. The disease progressed from a flu-like illness to endocarditis involving-first the aortic valve and then the mitral valve and septum. Despite aggressive therapy including two surgical procedures, the patient died from sepsis and multi-organ system failue 59 days after initial injury. Results: This is the first reported case of rat-bite fever (RBF) in a per shop work setting. Conclusions: Zoonotic infections may present a significant hazard to workers handling animals. Education on hazards of animal contact and other preventive measures are needed in small places of business like per shops.

AB - Background: Rat bite fever is a zoonotic disease that has been described in laboratory personnel as well as the general population. Methods: A 24-year-old male per shop employee contracted the disease through a minor superficial finger wo¿md on a contaminated rat cage. The disease progressed from a flu-like illness to endocarditis involving-first the aortic valve and then the mitral valve and septum. Despite aggressive therapy including two surgical procedures, the patient died from sepsis and multi-organ system failue 59 days after initial injury. Results: This is the first reported case of rat-bite fever (RBF) in a per shop work setting. Conclusions: Zoonotic infections may present a significant hazard to workers handling animals. Education on hazards of animal contact and other preventive measures are needed in small places of business like per shops.

KW - Endocarditis

KW - Pet stores

KW - Rat-bite fever

KW - Streptobaccillus moniliformis

KW - Zoonotic infections

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=1842781053&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=1842781053&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/ajim.10359

DO - 10.1002/ajim.10359

M3 - Article

C2 - 15029568

AN - SCOPUS:1842781053

VL - 45

SP - 357

EP - 360

JO - American Journal of Industrial Medicine

JF - American Journal of Industrial Medicine

SN - 0271-3586

IS - 4

ER -