OBJECTIVE. We describe the CT and MR imaging findings of the brain in patients who inadvertently poisoned themselves with concentrated hydrogen peroxide. Thirty-five percent hydrogen peroxide is commercially available as an oxidant and disinfectant. This solution is currently sold and promoted in health food stores in the United States as a means of 'improving oxygenation' in people with coronary artery disease and other health problems. CONCLUSION. Our findings show the high toxicity of concentrated hydrogen peroxide. CNS damage and death are likely consequences after ingestion of this agent.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging