We propose a novel approach to modulation and error control coding. The idea is to completely eliminate a constrained encoder and, instead, impose the constraint by the deliberate introduction of bit errors before transmission. The redundancy that would have been used for imposing the constraint is used in our scheme to strengthen the error control code (ECC), in such a way that the ECC becomes capable of correcting both deliberate errors as well as channel errors that occur during the detection. Our ECC-modulation scheme is based on iterative decoding of low-density parity check codes and a run-length constraint.
- Combined constrained and error control coding
- Low-density parity check codes
- Modulation coding
- Run-length-limited constraint
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering