We report the self-starting passively mode-locked operation of a chromium-doped forsterite laser using a semiconductor saturable Bragg reflector. Self-starting mode-locking was the only operational mode of the laser and could be achieved with and without intracavity dispersion compensation. We obtained 110 fs transformed limited pulses using a prism pair for dispersion compensation, 4 ps pulses without prisms, and pulse energies of up to 2.3 nJ at 90 MHz repetition rate.
- Cr:forsterite laser
- Saturable Bragg reflector
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering