The burden of excess length of stay in trauma patients

Prakash J. Mathew, Faisal Jehan, Narong Kulvatunyou, Muhammad Khan, Terence S Okeeffe, Andrew - Tang, Lynn Gries, Mohammad Hamidi, El Rasheid Zakaria, Bellal A Joseph

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Disposition of trauma patients frequently results in excessive hospital-stay. The aim of this study was to assess the risk of developing complications due to excessive stay in the hospital. Methods: Over a period of 4 years (2012–2015) we analyzed all trauma patients with hospital length-of-stay (h-LOS) >30 days. Outcome measures were complications after termination of medical care. Results: 416 patients were identified having h-LOS>30 days of which 61.0% (254) had an excess hospital stay and were included. The most common causes of excess hospital stay were placement in SNiF followed by placement in Inpatient-Rehabilitation. Excessive hospital-stay was independently associated with the development of complications (p = 0.004). Each excess day in the hospital after completion of medical care was associated with 5% higher odds of complications (OR [95%CI]: 1.05[1.02–1.09]) independent of presenting condition of the patient. Conclusion: Each extra day spent in the hospital after completion of medical care was associated with higher odds of developing complications.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)881-885
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Surgery
Volume216
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2018

Keywords

  • Complications
  • Discharge barriers in trauma
  • Excess length of stay

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The burden of excess length of stay in trauma patients'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Mathew, P. J., Jehan, F., Kulvatunyou, N., Khan, M., Okeeffe, T. S., Tang, A. ., Gries, L., Hamidi, M., Zakaria, E. R., & Joseph, B. A. (2018). The burden of excess length of stay in trauma patients. American Journal of Surgery, 216(5), 881-885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2018.07.044